Tuesday 5 October 2010

henri cartier-bresson

whilst not necessarily a landscape photographer, his use of formalism in photographs is astounding.
in particular, this image. the use of the railing leading the eye down to the bicycle is really effective. also, the fact that HCB has caught this image at this exact time is crazy. if it was a couple of miliseconds either before or after, then the cyclist wouldn't have been there and the whole focus of the image would be completely changed.

I love his work. All of it. I recently took out a book of his, entitled "Scrapbook" - which is basically (as the title would suggest) a collection of all of his work with a short written piece preceding the photographs documenting his life.

I suggest that anyone interested in looking further into HCB to get a hold of this book and simply look at it. Its blown me away - many of the photos i'd never even seen before, so for me it was a whole new experience. Looking at his work, getting a sense of emotion from it, the way he uses lines, curves and other natural shapes to create astounding scene are really quite effective.

peace from the man.

1 comment:

  1. hey Michael,
    I too am in my first year of photography. I am doing a HND in K college tonbridge and will be doing my top up in my 3rd year for a degree. I am orignally from Dartford. I think your blog is very good and i agree with your opinion on Henri cartier- bresson.

    keep up the good work :D

    Ashleigh Jade. x

    ReplyDelete