Friday 8 October 2010

contact sheets and negatives

So, keen as mustard to get back into the darkroom... I present to you, my negatives!
  
Sticking them to the windows doesn't really do them any justice, but its the closest I can get to a lightbox here at Student Central. The idea was to "take the 'of' out of the photograph" - basically, take photographs that aren't really of anything. My images ranged from plain and simple shots of stairs, to crazy, arty shots of reflections in puddles.

It took me a while to get used to film again, with my first film being a complete and utter failure. However, I managed to man up and get a second film done and completed properly (which is the one to the left).

Basically, I'm really proud of this film - as its the first one i've done in about 6 months, if not longer. So yeah. More on this darkroom stuff as it happens... [/newsreader]




Also, naturally - from negatives come prints! ...or rather a contact sheet..




so yeah. on the left is the test strip, doubling it each time. 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 8 seconds, 16 seconds, 32 seconds. I decided on the 32 second exposure, which gave me the contact sheet on the right. As it was just for testing purposes, all of the images are not quite perfect - some are overexposed and some are under, but to get a general sense of exposure times the sheet on the right was produced. Notice that some of the images have white lines and boxes drawn underneath/around them. That was my way of narrowing down the images for selection. Originally I drew a line under the images I wanted to look at properly, then narrowed it down even more by drawing a box around the ones I was going to use as my final images. I ended up with 4 final images which have yet to be printed.

Laters haters.

No comments:

Post a Comment