Wednesday 6 October 2010

50 photographers of tomorrow.

I write this at the end of a very interesting day at University. I developed my first film since around April (needless to say i'd forgotten how to do a lot of it...sorry Isle of Man College.) and I was shown a book called "re-Generation: 50 Photographers of Tomorrow". Whilst there were a lot of images from various different photographers, each with their own style, I became fixed on this one guy - Matthias Bruggmann.

Brugmann's work can be seen here, on his Flickr page.

Basically, I can't put my finger on just one thing that I love about his photographs - however, the use of colour and the way he photograps the simplest things in a different way are probably some of the reasons.


This was from a Coca-Cola Bottling Plant in Somalia. Whilst it looks like a really simple image, the patterns formed by the crates are quite cool. The white specks on the deep red are really quite effective. (Original is here.)


Another Photographer I was introduced to today is Idris Khan. Idris Khan's work is really unique in that its something that i've never seen used so effectively before. When he was at University, he's tutors were accomplished photographers in their own right, who shot photographs a certain way and (if I remember rightly) wanted the students to shoot the same way, too. So Idris took that idea and went right over the top with it. An example is, a tutor set him the task of photographing a circular structures, so Idris photographed every single circular structure he could find and exposed them all onto the same piece of paper - producing this image.


So that's what i've learnt today.
Over and Out.

Edit: I feel obliged to provide a link to Idris Khan's stuff - so here: http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/artists/idris_khan.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment